Sunday, June 25, 2006

Killer Weekend


















Started the weekend by heading to this gig to see the nujazz & broken-beat keys player and producer Mark De Clive Lowe (from New Zealand) play live at Club Asia in Shibuya with my new roomate/buddy. He is a Bugz in the Attic and Dj Spinna affiliate and features in many, many killer productions. I thought he was going to play tracks from his album with a band; but instead he played an improvisational project called 'Freesoul' in which he uses an MPC to create beats and then he adds a bassline with a synth and improvises on the keys to build these spontaneous songs.

He had a female vocalist with him called Bembe Segue too, who frequently appears in broken-beat singles. I was suitably impressed, he made some crazy beats and basslines and did all the sequencing live as well. It was great b
ut I didn't pay all that much attention to the show though because me & Ishmael were busy chatting to some Korean girls we met. Although communication was difficult, we had a good time.

On Saturday I had to return a a comb that I was holding for one of the Korean girls, so I met her for some Korean food in Shin-Okubo. It was a kind of spicy beef stew that is served in a hotplate on the table, and is to be eaten leisurely. A very enjoyable meal, indeed. Then it was over to Roppongi to try my hand at Salsa dancing with a girl I met the week before. We were not so good, but I was feeling the Latin vibe so I think more lessons are on the cards. It is a very middle-aged businessman/woman thing to do, but it is way more fun than dancing on your own at night clubs. Also when you look around and see a handful of men who are not good looking entertaining various pretty girls around the dancefloor, you know they're onto something.

Afterwards it was time to watch the Germany vs. Sweden game at a different bar; and then onto a little Brasilian club to meet my roomies, get drunk and enjoy a great Samba Trio. The place was mostly filled by Brasilians, I was unaware but there is a strong connection with Japan due to mass migration during the war. There is a large population of Japanese in Sao Paolo, and lots of Japanese-descendents returning to their home country. We also managed to catch a bit of the Argentina vs. Mexico game before the first trains for the day started.

Today I met my lady friend to go see the "Africa Remix" exhibition at the Mori Art Museum, which also includes entry to the observation deck on the 52nd floor for romantic night time views over downtown Tokyo. The exhibition was a collection of contemporary works from all over the African continent, including places like Morroco, South Africa, and Egypt; and it was excellent. Then it was off to Gaspanic for some cheap pizza, and the last train home.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, so satisfied. Now I can face Monday feeling revitalised. Reminds me why I came to Japan. There's nothing more depressing than working hard all week then having nothing to do when the weekend comes; 'all work and no play' and all that.

* Random information: 'The Da Vinci Code' is crap and 'X-Men III' is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home